Truth #10: We lie to ourselves

file1631251405894

After reading Outcasts last week,
something from one character (Omar) struck me.

He caught himself lying in his head.

You know what I’m talking about:
“I’m worthless.”
“I can’t do anything right.”
“I have no gifts.”

I do it
all.
the.
time.

I go to this dark corner,
in the cell of my own making,
curl up in the fetal position,
and repeat my mantra of lies.

‘Cause that’s what they are.
Lies.

No more.

That’s what I said in 2014.
No more lies to myself.
I will not speak them outloud,
or let them whisper through my bones.
No more.

“I am worthless.”
becomes
“I am precious in His sight.”

“I can’t do anything right.”
becomes
“I can do anything through Christ who strengthens.”

“I have no gifts.”
becomes
“God gave us each different gifts.”

So when the lies rear their ugly heads,
I will remind myself of God’s Truth.

This is God’s gift to me, and you,
and in 2014 I’m going to grab hold of that promise.
And never let go.

What lies do you tell yourself and how do you fight it? Please share it in the comment section along with any of your goals for 2014. I love to hear from you! And if you like what you read on my blog, consider clicking on the Follow button at the upper right side. Or join me on Facebook or Twitter.

9 thoughts on “Truth #10: We lie to ourselves

1. Jaimie Ramsey says:

This is absolutely fantastic! I’ve pondered (and written about) a very similar thing. There are so many lies Satan whispers to our easily-convinced minds. But God’s Word is full of the Truth of Jesus Christ! The best–the only–way to combat the Liar is with the Truth. It’s so important to remind ourselves, and each other, of the true things God has told us, when we are starting to believe the lies. Thank you for this!

• Karen deBlieck says:

Jaimie, I am glad you enjoyed the post. I am thinking of posting some “Truths” in my kitchen for those lies I so easily believe. Thank you for visiting my blog. I visited yours and really appreciated what you had to say. I’ve added you to my reader. 🙂

• Karen deBlieck says:

I struggle with that too Lisa. Especially as I am busy in so many other areas as well as being a mom. And my house is never clean. 😦 Sometimes it is the hardest to forgive ourselves…silly really. Thanks for stopping by.

2. Loraine Kemp says:

Karen, you are such an inspiration! I loved this blog and am so happy that you are now listening not only to yourself, but all the others who keep on telling you the same thing – you are an amazing and gifted person! And to have God on our side, who can fail!

• Karen deBlieck says:

Aw thanks Loraine! Your faith that shines through everything you do has been an inspiration to me. Thank you for believing in me even when I didn’t believe in myself. You are a true sister in Christ!

3. my2ndnature says:

The lie:no one will ever want to read what you write.
    Correct response to the lie: God has given me a gift. Whether people read it or not, I will write for Him, and if He wants others to read it, that will happen.
    For 2014: keep writing and loving all the people God sends across my path.