Truth #6: Be Thankful!

It was the ugliest thing.
And itchy!
I’m sure my grandmother meant well when she made the sweater.

But there was no way I’d wear it in front of my friends.
The garish pink and turquoise ribbons guaranteed that.
And there was lace…

Still, my mother wanted me to say thank you.
But she wouldn’t budge.

Something about “It’s the thought that counts…”

I did.
But I wasn’t truly thankful for the gift.

We just celebrated Canadian Thanksgiving.

And it got me thinking that we put so much stock in saying thank you,
even for the gifts we don’t really want.

Then something struck me.

The Bible says:
Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows. (James 1:17)

God’s gifts are perfect.
He never gives us ugly sweaters.
Or Christmas socks when we want tech toys.
Or gift certificates for places we never go to.
Or items we will regift.

They are perfect.
(Even if we can’t see it).
And they are custom made, oneofakind gifts.

if I am to say “thank you” for gifts that aren’t perfect…

… … …you get it. 😉

Gobble, gobble to my Canadian comrades. 🙂

I’d love to hear about a really, horrible gift you received (the names of the guilty gifters can be withheld) or a gift that God has given you that may not have looked perfect but was. I love hearing from you. ❤

9 thoughts on “Truth #6: Be Thankful!

1. Nancy Kimball says:

I’d registered for a 24 pieces tupperware set. Someone bought me the set. When I unwrapped it, the tupperware was in a different box and only 12 pieces were in the box. And they were the 12 round ones. All 12 square pieces were missing. I haven’t been able to let it go after ten years.

2. Lisa Godfrees says:

You had a typo. It should have been #oneofakind
    I’m thankful for hashtags.
    But I’m WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more thankful for Jesus. And the Holy Spirit. Two of the most perfect gifts He ever sent me.

Oh- and I’ve heard that tupperware story before. 😉

3. sarahdgrimm says:

I got a gift once that I didn’t love. It was a strange fairy-looking, hand-crafted ornament. A big ornament, like could’ve been Barbie’s little sister. I chuckled as I held it up and said to my mom, “What’s this?”

She said, “That’s from Grandma.”

Grandma had moved in with my parents that year because her house was broken into. I had moved out that year because I got married. So, yeah, I should’ve known better than to say, “what’s this” about a gift. But I opened my big mouth.

My grandma looked at me and said, “It’s an ornament. I thought she was pretty. And she reminded me of you because she’s a fairy of the woods. See how the one I gave your sister is dressed in flowers, but yours is dressed like she climbs trees and loves to be with the animals?”

Immediately she was beautiful. Not because she was supposed to look like me (LOL), but because my grandma knew me so well that she got me something–hand-picked something–that reminded her of my spirit–my heart. A wood elf.

My husband thinks she’s ugly, but I love her because I love the reason my grandma picked her for me. And every Christmas she gets to sit on the top of the Christmas tree.

4. Julie Pilling says:

You got me thinking Karen about imperfect gifts that turn into perfect ones. I know that God didn’t “gift” me with infertility, it is but a symptom or result of our fallen world but it is because of this “gift” that I have received the fantastic gift of being an adoptive Mom to 2 beautiful girls. Sometimes you have to let a gift grow on you…settle in…or as my Mom would say about a new article of clothing that hangs on a hanger for weeks after it is purchased that she needs to “become acquainted with it first” before they truly belong to her. I suppose this gift has grown on me and I have become acquainted with being an Adoptive Parent. It is a gift I wouldn’t trade, give back, re-gift, or return…ever. Because God knew that it was the perfect gift!

• Karen deBlieck says:

It is very true Julie! (I love how your Mom puts it…I can hear her saying that!) Sometimes the gift we want isn’t the gift we are supposed to get. And although it is sinful, fallen world God still gives us perfect gifts. In your case, you have two beautiful daughters that are a very precious gift. And they, in turn, were blessed with a gift with a family that loves them everyday. Thank you for being God’s gift to them!

I touch on this a bit on my earlier post:

Thank you so much for visiting! 🙂